Sunday, February 10, 2008

Inspirations

Sometimes I get asked what inspires me as an artist. I’m one of those artists that get their inspirations from everyday life. It can be just from talking with another person, brainstorming with other artists, looking through reference photos or just looking outside.



I’m so blessed to have a house on a couple of acres where I keep my horse Billy Bob. I bought him when he was 4 years old and he’ll be 20 this April. I can walk out my back door or look out the window and be inspired every day. I also have a little Cairn terrier named Sassy and a cat named Samantha who bring such joy to my life. All three have been subjects of my art and probably will continue to be inspirational for a long time to come.

If I think about it, I would have to say everything I look at, I’m looking at it as if it were a composition. I’m taking in the details, color, lights, and darks imagining how I would draw it, figuring out how best to describe it with pencils or pastels.






I have always enjoyed watching the clouds and with sunrises or sunsets there are some spectacular colors that are always inspirational. Spring is right around the corner and with that come the bluebonnets. In good years, the wildflowers in Texas can be breathtaking. Now that I have a good digital camera I’m hoping to get some reference photos to pull from at some point for landscape and wildlife drawings.

Then there is my daughter and my precious grandson - wow what inspiration he is! There is the rest of my family - my mom and dad, my sister and her husband, my brother and his wife and their sons - all of my family who give me so much love and moral support. So what inspires me? My family, my animals, friends, nature, wildlife, just day to day living – all that God gave me! I look forward to sharing my inspirations with you in the days to come.

No comments: