It all started this evening when I started to work on Billy Bob's chest and neck. I couldn't fine the pastel I had used on the shadow part of his face and eventually I had too much pastel on the paper to make much difference what I did. It really looked bad. So I thought I could salvage it by going over some of his chest and making it background and cropping the entire painting really close.
I thought it was going to work. I laid it in the scanner and those two marks showed up. I think they are water marks. I had washed my hands before placing the painting in the scanner and when it popped up on my screen I couldn't believe it! It may be ruined I'm not sure. I'm leaving it alone tonight and if it is water maybe it won't be there in the morning. If it is there, I may see if I can add something abstract to it to "cover" it up. There still is a bit to do on Billy Bob but I will wait until I see what this looks like in the morning.
The big disappointment for me was when I couldn't get the color on his chest right. Taking it out and cropping the painting so close has change the dramatic effect it had before. The power that Billy Bob was exhibiting is gone!
I'm very disappointed!