Monday, March 23, 2009

The Cycle of Life - Original Pastel



The Cycle of Life
5" x 7" (12.7cm x 17.8cm)
Pastel on Fine Art Paper
$75 plus $10 shipping and handling in the US
E-mail me for International shipping rates or other inquiries.




When I went to Yellowstone last year I saw this little lodge pole pine growing out of a huge boulder surrounded other lodge pole pines that had fallen or would eventually fall to the ground. I think we have all seen weeds growing in the middle of asphalt but to grow out of the middle of solid rock is pretty impressive.
I also saw larger trees that had obviously grown out of boulders because their roots were above ground shaped as if they had grown around something very large but the boulder was long gone. The tree had used the minerals in the rock to grow and eventually the rock had broken down leaving the trees to look like they were using their roots to "walk" across the top of the ground.
Psalm 145:13
Your kingdom is an everlasting kingdom, and your dominion endures through all generations. The LORD is faithful to all his promises and loving toward all he has made.

7 comments:

Marsha Robinett said...

Karen,
This is lovely. I took a peak at your site last night and woke up this morning thinking about your painting.

This little tree should give us all encouragement in what we are capable of accomplishing in a difficult situation.

Growth is possible in these lean times...this is living proof.

Beautiful done and beautiful spoken...without words.

Regina Calton Burchett said...

I love the tree, Karen - very nicely done. And an excellent point, too!

Dianne Mize said...

Isn't it just grand when life springs out of an unlikely source! I love the greens of your little pine. And I enjoy your sensibility.

Karen Hargett said...

Thank you Marsha - I'm glad my little painting gave you food for thought ;-)

Hi Regina - I'm glad you like my tree - it was one of those photos when you take it you know you will use it for reference.

Hey Dianne - good to see you hear. Thank you so much. I used Rembrandts and some Carb Othello pastel pencils on the greens of the tree - sometimes they can "glow" but it helped in this instance.

Unknown said...

You are such a wonderful and spiritual storyteller Karen. You express with images what some people cannot comprehend in words. hugs.

Holly Zemak said...

Beautiful piece, the green of the pine has a soft glow, very tranquil. You also did a great job on Sister Hallelujah, a 3/4 view on the face is so hard.

Karen Hargett said...

Hi Sheila - you are much too kind - I truly appreciate you comments

Hey Holly - thank you! I'm glad you like my last couple of post - I need to get busy and work on something else now ;-)