Friday, January 25, 2013

Looking At Ya - A WIP

It has been a long while since I've posted but thought I'd share one of my latest pastels as I worked on it - in a WIP (Work in Progress). This is a photo of my horse Billy Bob that I took not long ago - I used it as my reference.
 
 
I then made a rough sketch on my pastel paper of choice - velour. I always start with the eyes - only because I can't stand to see eye sockets staring back at me while I work!

 
Here is my progress after about 90 minutes.  I call it the "ugly stage because it is all I can do to keep from throwing it away at this point!
 
 

Here I have about another hour or so into it and decided to leave it until the next day to see what I can do to finalize it.
 

And finally here is the final version.  I tweaked the lights and darks and added a few small details and called it finished!

Looking At Ya!
11" x 17"
In a private collection
 
 

Philippians 4:8 (KJV)
Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.
 

No comments: