Sunday, June 26, 2011

Watermelon Cool - An Original Pastel - A DPW Challenge


Watermelon Cool
7" x 5" (17.8cm x 12.7cm)
Pastels on Velour
$100 plus $10 shipping and handling in the US
E-mail me for International shipping rates or other inquiries.

I've just recently joined Daily Paintworks and decided to try one of their weekly challenges.  This particular week was to paint a still life from the photo provided but paint it completely upside down as you see below.

These are always fun and a great challenge.  Your brain will sometimes challenge your eyes and you will end up painting what you "think" something looks like rather than what you actually see.  I have often turned my paper upside down when I can't seem to get something right - it really helps! Try it sometime - you will be amazed at the results.


Deuteronomy 11:16

King James Version (KJV)


16Take heed to yourselves, that your heart be not deceived, and ye turn aside, and serve other gods, and worship them;

12 comments:

Barbara Pask said...

You did a fantastic job on this challenge. Sorry I haven't commented in a while but I do check in. Happy painting. :)

Karen Hargett said...

Hey Barb - so good to see you! Thanks so much. I need to be better about commenting too - I do the same check in but. . ;-)

Gary Keimig said...

really nice Karen.

hmuxo said...

I love this painting Karen. It's painted perfectly. Congratulations!

Karen Hargett said...

Gary thank you so much!

Hi hmuxo - thank you. It was fun to do.

Dean H. said...

Love you painting, Karen!
The upside down deal was challenging, but very useful.

Karen Hargett said...

Thank you Dean! Good to see you. I had a lot of fun doing the upside down challenge - I should do it more often than I do. Thanks for stopping by.

Regina Calton Burchett said...

Karen - I love this! You did a wonderful job - the colors are great!

Karen Hargett said...

Hi Regina - thank you so much! I agree the colors were great to work with - great photo reference.

Karen Hargett said...

Thanks Lola.

Helen Read said...

This is really cool. I love your outcome on both views!

Karen Hargett said...

Hi Helen - thanks. Glad you liked it!