Sunday, April 6, 2008

The Fledglings

It's spring - flowers are blooming, the grass is growing, birds are busy making their nest and soon lots of little birds will be out of their nests and taking their first flight like these little fledgling sparrows.

I like the composition because they aren't facing you so it makes it a little different view than normal. I have imagined they have probably flown for the first time from their nest and landed on this branch. It's as if they are looking out on this big, old, world, a little apprehensively, knowing this isn't like the comfort of their nest, but taking it all in, getting the courage to test their wings and fly again.

I'm still working on the sparrows, mostly the second one right now. Still adding layers of color - trying to get the look of the feathers just right. Fledglings have that combination of fluffy feathers they have as nestlings as well as their new adult feathers - so I really want the viewer to know - these birds are out on their own for the first time.

For this one I'm using all my pastels, Conte sticks, Carbo-Othello pencils and my soft Rembrandts. It's on velour sand colored paper and is about 14" x 11".

There is still more to do on this one so check back.

No comments: